Vancouver, BC – BC Adaptive Snowsports (BCAS) issued today an update on their annual winter events, including adaptations to be implemented for the 2020-2021 season as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This update applies to the following annual events: (1) the Summit, (2) All Mountain Camps, and (3) SheCan. Informed by Provincial Health Officer and viaSport
guidance, and aligned with BCAS’ Return to Sport plan, the following restrictions apply for each of these events:
- Events will pivot from a centralized location (one larger scale event in one location), to multiple smaller scale opportunities offered in regions across British Columbia;
- All opportunities will occur in the great outdoors only, on the hills and mountains across British Columbia;
- Opportunities will consist of training groups of no more than six participants, plus one instructor / coach;
- All opportunities will be single-day offerings with participants strongly discouraged from staying overnight (i.e. participants to reside within a reasonable driving distance to get to and from the mountain in one day).
Despite these restrictions, adaptations to annual events will ensure BCAS sustains the growth of their volunteer instructor core, builds capacity across regions, and provides on-mountain development opportunities for participants, athletes and volunteers.
(1) BCAS Summit Update
The Summit is an annual event that brings together top adaptive snowsport instructors from across British Columbia. In 2019 the Summit continued to grow with over 60 volunteer instructors congregating at the Sun Peaks Grand Hotel and Resort for professional development opportunities, where attendees prepare to move up the ranks in certification and course conducting. Unfortunately, Summit 2020 is cancelled. Despite the cancellation, it is anticipated 60 volunteer instructors will still be provided professional development opportunities via a decentralized model that will expand to a variety of regions. In this model, BCAS’ technical experts will deliver single-day small group sessions across the province.
(3) All Mountain Camps and (3) SheCan Event Updates
BCAS All Mountain Camps are aligned with Alpine Canada’s Carving the Future program to provide intermediate to advanced adaptive skiers / snowboarders all mountain terrain training and race development. All Mountain Camps are typically 4-day events, but for the 2020-2021 season the camps will pivot to adaptive race development days, providing athlete opportunities held at multiple locations across British Columbia. In travelling to more locations, BCAS will offer introduction to racing opportunities, support clubs in building their race development programs, and build capacity across regions. Similar to All Mountain Camps, SheCan will adopt a smaller scale single-day model with opportunities held in a variety of locations.
Details regarding the dates and locations of all opportunities will be released in the coming weeks. For more information, please reach out to the following BCAS staff members:
Inquiries re: BCAS Summit and Professional Development Days contact:
Snowbility and Technical Development Manager
Inquiries re: All Mountain Camps, Race Development Days, SheCan contact:
Fannie Smith, Athletic and Communications Manager